Jazz Drums-Historical Collection
An exhibition from the collection of Sándor Kármán’s musical instruments has been open to the public in the Drum Museum in Cegléd since 27th November 2000.
He has been a committed adherent of drums for 30 years. He started to exchange letters with the world’s leading manufacturers of percussion instruments at the end of the 1960s. After a few years he had such a big collection that he organized an exhibition titled ‘History of Drums’ in 1979. This exhibition wants to take you back in time to African drums and show battle-, shaman-, and town crier drums as well as the most modern electronic drum-synthesizer at that time.
On the one hand the museum wants to commemorate these legendary musical instruments, famous masters and makers of drums who lived in the past; on the other hand it popularizes the culture of percussion instruments. Unconventional music classes, performances of percussion instruments, presentations of the history of drums and video shows are held on the modern stage of the concert room. The library of the museum provides visitors with more than a thousand catalogs, hundreds of music scores and music books, videos and CDs in the topic of drums and percussion instruments.
A spectacular statue of Kossuth, the reflection of the Kossuth cult can be seen in the middle of Liberty Square. This beautiful work of art made by the sculptor János Horvay was unveiled on 18th September 1902, on the eve of the 100th anniversary of Kossuth’s birth.
The most beautiful part of the statue is the head of Kossuth which was worked out with the help of Kossuth’s son, Ferenc Kossuth. The beauty of the side-figure, the soldier leaving his home to fight, is also really touching. The elderly parent was modeled after an inhabitant of Cegléd, Lédeczi Sámuel. The replica of the statue has been standing in New York City since 1928.
While exploring the relics of Kossuth we can get to Kossuth’s Balcony, which stands in the garden of the Calvinist church of Cegléd. This is what remained from the balcony of the former Hotel Zöldfa in Pozsony from which Kossuth introduced Hungary’s first prime minister, Batthyány Lajos The renovated balcony was put into its current place on 24th September in the year of the Mille-centenary.
Calvinist Church of Cegléd
You can see one of the symbols of the town the Calvinist Church from far, standing in the main square, Liberty Square. The largest Calvinist Church in Central Europe was planned by József Hild and built in classicist style between 1835 and 1870. The foundation stone of the building was laid in 1835. It was sanctified in 1871 and refurbished in 1895-996. The dome of the church burnt down in 1936 and it was rebuilt as a higher construction.
In May 2002 the church was enriched with a new electronic concert organ. Péter Albert, an electrical engineer from Miskolc, planned and built the organ with four manual pedals and sixty-three registers. The range of sound of the organ totally satisfies the needs of musicians performing baroque and modern music. Since the opening ceremony concerts in the church have made the music life of the city more colorful.
The church with the capacity of 2400 has become a landmark of the town. On the two-tower main façade there is a tympanum lobby held by four ion columns. Under the tympanum the following epigraph can be read: ‘Come unto me, all!’
Holy Cross Catholic Church
In Kossuth Square we can see the classicist church dedicated to the honor of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. In the 14th and 15th century a chapel in honor of St Ann stood in the place of the present church. Queen Elizabeth donated Cegléd to Clarissa nuns of Óbuda in 1368. The present church was built on the site of the gothic church which was demolished in 1821.
The planner of the building was Ferenc Homályossy (Tunkel), an architect from Szolnok. The church was consecrated on 31st August 1827. The main altar was made by Lőrinc Dunaiszky in 1830. In the same year József Schöfft, a painter from Pest, painted the main altarpiece which depicts Calvary scene.
Another dominant feature of Liberty Square is the neo-gothic Lutheran Church with its slender tower which was made based on the plans of Ottó Sztehlo, an architect from Budapest. At first the bazaar lines on both sides of the church were made, and then on 31st November 1896 another house of God was consecrated. Its altarpiece was painted by artist Károly Jakoby ; a baptismal font stands in front of the altar.
It looks like a castle, referring to the greeting of the Lutheran Church: ‘A Mighty Fortress Is Our God.’ The historic congregation was formed in 1802. Although there’s a slight decrease in the number of the congregation, worships for about 340 evangelicals are held according to the following schedule: on Sundays and on Holidays at 10 a.m.
The statue of Dózsa expresses the ties of György Dózsa, leader of the peasant war of 1514, to Cegléd. The present Dózsa monument with two figures was unveiled in a national ceremony on 25th June 1972. The statue is the work of the Kossuth Prize-laureate sculptor József Somogyi.